Friday, February 3, 2012

Grandpa's Wisdom

Today I found myself thinking about my grandpa and all of the things he taught me over the years.  My grandpa was my buddy.  He also only had a third grade education, yet he was one of the smartest people I ever knew.

He used to tell me "Bean Belly (yes, that was what he called me), make sure you learn something new everyday.  Because when you stop learning you might as well just hang it up."  This man who had to quit school at the age of nine to go work in the woods taught me how to read and write by the time that I was three years old!

Being a 50 year old college student can be very challenging.  I sometimes start to get discouraged and wonder if it is even worth it.  Then I remember all of the things that my grandpa taught me while I was growing up.  I like to think that I am honoring my grandpa by pursuing my dream of a Ph.D.  I think he would be proud of his buddy "Bean Belly."

No comments:

Post a Comment